Nothing makes you smile quite like fresh flowers. Flowers and plants are perishable products which are directly affected by the environment they are exposed to; therefore this will affect their longevity. Here are some tips from Townsville’s flower experts that will help you to keep your flowers fresh, lasting longer and looking their best.
Please note: A flower food sachet and flower care guide is delivered with every Malpara Florist flower order.
Caring for cut flowers
- Fill a clean vase with water and add the flower food sachet as per the instructions provided with your flowers.
- Cut approximately 2cm off all the stems (diagonally) with sharp scissors and remove any leaves that will fall below the waterline as they will create bacteria and spoil the water very quickly. Place flowers immediately into the prepared vase.
- Top up the water regularly and change it completely every 2 to 3 days. Trim 2cm off the stems, removing any spent blooms and foliage during this period.
- Place the vase in a cool, draft-free position, away from direct sunlight and fruit, avoiding extreme changes in temperature and do not place the vase on top of heat-generating appliances such as fridges and microwave ovens.
Caring for Arrangements
- Leave the flowers in the florist’s foam/container that they arrived in.
- Check the water level daily and top up with water mixed with the flower food sachet provided.
- Cut off any spent blooms and foliage to keep the arrangement looking fresh.
- Do not allow the florist foam dry out.
- Place the arrangement in a cool, draft-free position, away from direct sunlight and fruit, avoiding extreme changes in temperature and do not place on top of heat-generating appliances such as fridges and microwave ovens.